Thursday, March 13, 2008

Among the interesting items I added to my collection this week is this stunning magazine called AGR that I discovered thanks to a colleague. Printed on amazingly high quality paper, this Spanish magazine is aimed at movie collectors and usually features in-depth articles about Golden Age movies. It seems to be always beautifully illustrated with extremely rare items. Frankly it must cost so much to produce and the audience for this kind of publication in Spain is so limited that I am certain that it operates at a loss.

The June 2000 issue was obviously of particular interest to me as it contains a long article about Disney by Roy E. Disney. What makes it really worthwhile though are the illustrations: I discovered that quite a few promotional slides, like the Snow White one pictured below, were created in Spain from the '30s to the '70s to serve as "trailers" for upcoming movies. I am yet to see one of those in a fair or auction, but I will be on the lookout from now on.

No comments: