Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I had the pleasure of receiving four books from Disney Editions yesterday.

One of them (The Answer Is Yes: The Making and Art of Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice) does not have its place on this blog, not because it is not a good book (if you liked the movie you will probably enjoy the book very much) but simply because, according to my definitions, it is not linked to "Disney history". The other three books are definitely worth reviewing and I will do so starting today and over the upcoming days.

It took me a few minutes to understand Jeff Kurrti's new book, Disneyland - From Once Upon a Time to Happily Ever After. When I first browsed through it I thought: "Photos that I have already seen many times. Souvenir book available only in the Park. Not worth much attention."

I then took another more careful look at this short softcover book and realized I was wrong (although it is a Park-exclusive). The book is definitely a "nice-to-have" based on its excellent concept. Each spread shows one photo of Disneyland in the '50s or '60s and another photo of the same area of the park today. The comparisions are definitely fun and Jeff's short text contains enough information that the book makes a good addition to park enthusiasts' libraries.

In summary: A book that really deserves more than one glance. Not an absolutely necessary addition to anyone's library, but a really nice-to-have.

Once again Jeff did it, creating a strong introduction to Disneyland history for the general audience.

No comments: