Monday, March 23, 2015

Based on documentation I located recently, I am almost, but not completely, certain that the pieces of concept art created for the live-action section of the abandoned Disney project about the life of Hans Christian Andersen from the early 1940s were created by story artist (and narrator of the "How to" Goofy short) John McLeish (a.k.a. John Ployardt).

The issue is that I have not been able to find any other piece of art by John McLeish (Disney or non-Disney) and I can't therefore compare the style of these renderings to other works by McLeish (save for as series of totally abstract paintings which are irrelevant).

Could any reader of the blog help?

[UPDATE: I was wrong: I am now 99.9% certain that those paintings were created by Charles Hoffbauer, who worked briefly at the Studio and was one of the two main artists working on the Hans Christian Andersen project, along with McLeish.]




No comments: